Friday, July 17, 2009

Staying Cool in the Pool


For some crazy reason we didn't get enough crowds over the holiday weekend, so we came up with the brilliant idea to go to the extremely popular Henry Moses pool in Renton on a hot Sunday afternoon. The line to get in was so long, I wasn't sure we were going to get in. But we did and even managed to find a few chairs to camp in. Colin brought Nick along and they were set for a few hours of fun, mostly in the wave pool or on the water slides.

It felt good to get wet under the spray fountain, but I wanted in the lap pool to really cool off. I was hoping it was just open to adults and that is why there were no kids in it. Oh no, it was closed to everyone because someone had pooped in it during the previous session. Nice! It was later re-opened and not an hour later, it was closed again because some kid threw up. Seriously? Could we not keep our bodily fluids and waste matter to ourselves? This happened right as we had sat down to take a break and eat our picnic dinner. Such a treat to eat your sandwich while watching the teenaged lifeguard bring out the big nylon scoop to fish out chunks.

After all that hub-bub was over, it was decided that the four of us would stick to the Lazy River, slides and wave pool. It was fun watching the boys in the wave pool. They found the spot where the waves were the highest and it would push them high up against the pool wall. I was a little nervous about it, but thankful for the successful swim lessons. Matt hung out with them on the slide, and I chose instead to lounge in my fat girl skirt swimsuit and attempt work on eradicating my farmer tan.

With the session time winding down and the cooler air coming in on shore, it was time to think about getting ready to leave. Final straw? "Everybody out of the wave pool!" cried the skinny well-tanned lifeguard. Then out came the large "fish net" again. Wonderful! It's at this point I'm seriously considering saving for an above ground pool for the backyard. The boys were, on the contrary, humored by the gross-out factor. I was not! We'd be better of dealing with the leeches in Lake Wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment